Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
The importance of digital media has grown over the years, and today, it is crucial for any business to grow and make itself accessible to customers. We are going to take you through some basics of digital marketing that are essential for your business.
So, what is Digital Marketing?
In a nutshell, digital marketing is an umbrella term used to refer to all marketing techniques and strategies conducted over online channels such as the internet and social media.
What are some basic strategies you can engage in to boost your digital presence?
Know Your Audience
Although this may sound simple, the first step to any business is to define its target market or audience. This step is crucial as it lays the foundations for the type of marketing strategy you will use to sell your products/services to these customers.
Ask yourself who your primary audience is – their age group, demographics and preferences. Only then shall you proceed to develop a marketing strategy.
Update Your Website
Your website is the first place potential customers will see when they search for your company. 94% of first impressions are from your website’s design (Webfx, 2020). The structure, layout, colour scheme and typography of the website impact the way your audience perceives your brand.
Some techniques to make your website user-friendly.
Create an easy-to-navigate website layout.
On the most basic level, these features should be a part of the layout design :
- About us, Our vision, Our team sections
- List of services offered or categories of products sold
- A contact us page with phone numbers, email, and an address.
- A blog – crucial for content marketing.
Try to include creative web content such as text that provides valuable information about your brand to your customers, images, infographics, animations, podcasts or audio files. Engaging in these forms of content marketing might just set you aside from competitors and provide your business with a unique presence.
Additionally, adding a chat box feature so customers can ask questions while browsing through your website is another way to engage with customers. It helps your brand come across as more responsive.
It is essential to monitor your website regularly and ensure that it is up to date with ongoing trends and changing algorithms.
It needs to be fast and secure: If your website doesn’t load fast enough, most customers will close the tab button and leave your site. Also, website security is another significant factor to consider.
Use HTTPS instead of HTTP to ensure webpage security.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search engine optimization refers to the process of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic (unpaid) search engine results. In simple words, it makes your website more visible to your target audience by ranking it to the top search results that show up when someone searches for relevant keywords to your site. 53% of all web traffic comes from organic search (BrightEdge, 2019).
Some basic SEO strategies you can engage in:
Use relevant keywords.
- Find keywords that best describe your business and relate to the type of services you are providing. Selecting the right keywords is crucial as it helps search engines rank your website.
- Use these keywords in title tags, URL’s, heading tags and meta descriptions. Also include these keywords in your website content and blog pages to help optimize your website rankings. You can search for keywords online using SEO tools like Ubersuggest, SEMrush, or Google AdWords.
- Beware of keyword stuffing (using too many keywords) as your website can get penalized.
Link building to grow your rank on search engines along with using keywords.
- Start with an anchor tag. Find pages on your site to link to a new page.
- Find pages on your site to link to a new page.
- Get other sites to link you either by asking or providing informative content.
- Get featured in reviews, interviews, articles and mentions by influencers and PR executives working in your industry.
If you want to engage in a more elaborate and detailed SEO strategy while expanding your business, consider outsourcing your SEO services to a digital marketing agency.
Social Media Marketing
54% of social browsers use social media to research products (GlobalWebIndex, 2018).
Popular social media platforms boost brand awareness, promote and sell your products or services.
Pick the best social media channels that complement your business.
Create customized profiles for each platform depending on your marketing goals and select the type of content you’d want to post.
Be consistent and try to put out content that helps you interact with your customers.
Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC)
PPC is a kind of online advertising where you pay each time a potential client clicks on your ad.
- Paid search advertising is the most common form of PPC and refers to the ads that show up in search results when someone types a relevant keyword.
- Google Ads is the most popular. 63% of people say they’d click on a Google ad (Search Engine Land, 2019).
- Another popular and effective form of paid advertising is Facebook advertising.
- Other strategies include Instagram ads, YouTube ads, paid social media campaigns and influencer ads.
Marketing has evolved a great deal with the introduction of newer technology. It has become the need of the hour to incorporate these platforms in your business strategy to not lose out on potential market opportunities.
Do you handle your own digital marketing needs? Are you looking for a digital marketing specialist to take care of your requirements? Applying the strategies is the first steps you can take to help your online presence grow. We are there for everything else.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your digital marketing needs. We will develop a customized strategy for your business.
Hurry! Book a consultation with us at Beat The Beat Studios to evaluate your post-pandemic requirements and get your first consultation for free!